League Mission, Principles, and Values
The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan political organization encouraging informed and active participation in government. It influences public policy through education and advocacy. We never support or oppose any political party or candidate.
The League of Women Voters has two separate and distinct roles.
- Voters Service/Citizen Education: We present unbiased nonpartisan information about elections, the voting process, and issues.
- Action/Advocacy: Although we are also nonpartisan, after study we use our positions to advocate for or against particular policies in the public interest.
- The League of Women Voters believes in representative government and in the individual liberties established in the Constitution of the United States.
- The League of Women Voters believes that democratic government depends on the informed and active participation of its citizens and governmental bodies protect the citizen's right to know by giving adequate notice of proposed actions, holding open meetings, and making public records.
- The League of Women Voters believes that every citizen should be protected in the right to vote; that every person should have access to free public education that provides equal opportunity for all; and that no person or group should suffer legal, economic or administrative discrimination.
- The League is deeply concerned about issues that are affecting our democracy including voter suppression through voter id laws, the need to curtail the vast and growing amounts of money spent on political campaigns, and the need to strengthen ethical standards for elected officials.
- The League of Women Voters believes that efficient and economical government requires competent personnel, the clear assignment of responsibility, adequate financial and coordination among the different agencies and levels of government.
- The League of Women Voters believes that government should be responsive to the will of the people and should maintain an equitable and flexible system of taxation, promote the conservation and development of natural resources and the environment in the public interest, share in the solution of economic and social problems that affect the general welfare, promote a sound economy, and adopt domestic policies that facilitate the solution of international problems.
- The League of Women Voters believes that cooperation with other nations is essential in the search for solutions to world problems. The development of international organizations and international law is imperative in the promotion of world peace.
Our Core Values
We are a nonpartisan political membership organization.
- We believe that grassroots initiatives and consensus building are the strengths of our organization.
- We believe that our organization models the principles of good governance.
- We consider well before taking action and prepare well before beginning to act.
- We believe that citizenship requires knowledge, as well as the ability and will to act.
- We believe that the responsibility of good government rests on the shoulders of its citizens.
- We believe that the rights of citizens at home and abroad are interdependent.